Cruisin’ Houghton County
Houghton County is one of my top ten motorcycling destinations on Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Its great roads combine with its history and scenic locations to offer a biker many good reasons to come ride the area.
The cities of Houghton and Hancock comprise the gateway to Keweenaw Peninsula. Highway M-26, one of the best motorcycling roads in the U.P. crosses the bridge and winds its way east before heading north through Lake Linden and Calumet on its way to the little coastal town of Copper Harbor.
Highway M-26 is one of the top motorcycling roads on Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. It gets it start Ontonagon County and then rolls north through Twin Lakes and South Range before crossing over Hancock-Houghton Lift Bridge in Houghton County. From there its north to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula with what some consider some of the best motorcycling in between.
Highway US-41 coming out of Copper Harbor is an absolutely must ride. In Houghton County, there is grand view overlooking the cities of Hancock and Houghton.
Freda Road is one road you’ll have to go looking for. If you like exploring on your bike, I suggest finding the Town of Freda on your Michigan Road map and take a ride.
There is too much to see in do in Houghton County to list it all here. You’ve got ghost towns, lake cruises and underground mine tours. For some beach time, I recommend a road trip out to McLain State Park.
For more information, I suggest paying a visit to the Visitor’s Bureau and Chamber of Commerce websites listed on the right side of this page. You also might want to check out my Keweenaw Ride that Dave took a couple years ago.
Area Motorcycle Events
- In 2009, the Keweenaw Ride-In became an official motorcycling event. The event packed the historical Calumet Theater as the Marshall Tucker Band rocking the place. All weekend bikes flowed into the area to enjoy the event which also included the Copper Harbor Thunder In The Harbor taking place at the same time.
- Annual Ink Run
Biker Discounts Available in Houghton County
Show the below businesses your U.P. Cruising Biker Discount Card to get their special biker discounts.
- AmericInn (15% off Regular Rate)
- Magnuson Hotel Copper Crown Motel (10% Off Lodging)
- Franklin Square Inn (10% off best available rate)
- Holiday Inn Express (10% Off Regular Rate)
- Houghton Super 8 Motel (10% Off Lodging)
- The Mine Shaft & Rock House Grille (15% off meals)
- Loading Zone II Bar & Grill (10% off meals) excludes specials